This is the download page for podcasts of Cat and Joe’s Southern Comfort, broadcast every Friday at 4-5pm on NSR Live
Expect a mix of folk, indie and whatever else we feel like, alongside regular(ish) features like Know Your Onion (where Cat has to decide which of four ridiculous news stories is made up by popular satirical news story The Onion), Movie Reviews, Alien Corner and new feature Audio Youtube, our “senseless” (hur hur) new quiz where we play the audio from a Youtube clip and you work out what it is. Inspired. Unprofessional, sometimes stupid and often insane, Cat and Joe’s Southern Comfort shouldn’t exist but, lucky for us, it does.
Episode One – So, after we make a triumphant return replete with fanfare and whimsy, I lose my memory stick with the show recording. This show shall never be heard again.
Episode Two – I have a new memory stick! That means you get to hear this week’s show, packed with my idiocy, an animal themed Know Your Onion (guess who wins) and the first real installment of our new feature, Audio Youtube where we play a Youtube clip and you have to wrk out what it is based on noise alone. It’s fun, I promise. Also, someone falls off his chair just before we start, it’s funny.
1. Jay Jay Pistolet – We Are Free
2. Sufjan Stevens – Decatur
3. Alessi’s Ark – Shovelling
4. Gil Scott-Heron – New York Is Killing Me feat. Mos Def
5. Johnny Flynn – The Water feat Laura Marling
6. Manic Street Preachers – (It’s Not War) Just The End of Love
7. Conor Oberst – I Don’t Wanna Die (In A Hospital)
8. Talking Heads – This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
Both of these episodes were recorded far too long ago for me to know/care what happened within them, so the onus is on you to find out. Let’s treat it like lucky dip, shall we? Enjoy!
Episode Five – Beginning with a beautiful song and beautiful final note by Cat, the show’s true form quickly reveals itself through the sound of sewage pipes in the background, and we continue in similar vein from there – apocalypse, mean impressions, a vaguely psychopathic new Facebook idea and breast repossessions all make appearances.
1. Tears for Fears – Head Over Heels
2. Jenny and Johnny – My Pet Snakes
3. Allie Moss – Corner
4. The Streets – Your Song
5. The Low Anthem – Charlie Darwin
6. The Beach Boys – Kokomo
7. Zooey Deschanel & Leon Radbone – Baby, It’s Cold Outside
Episode Six – This was our final show of the year, and so took the form of a semi-Christmas episode – every other song is Christmas related but really that’s about it. Either way, it can’t be worse than the same show last year, we weren’t inebriated this time. Merry Christmas one and all!
1. The Holloways – It’s Christmas It’s Christmas
2. Willy Mason – I Wish I Knew How To Say Goodbye
3. The Darkness – Christmas Time
4. Super Wild Horses – Mess Around
5. Bob Dylan – Must Be Santa
6. Pixies – Where Is My Mind?
7. Smith Westerns – Weekend
8. Belle & Sebastian – Are You Coming Over For Christmas?
Episode Seven – Giraffe fights, Black Swan, and features stolen from other shows. Deal with it.
1. Avi Buffalo – One Last
2. James Mathe – The Load
3. Woodpigeon & Withered Hand – I’m Set Free
4. Adele – Rolling in the Deep
5. School of Rock – School of Rock
6. Alessi’s Ark – Wire
7. Peter Stampfel & Jeffrey Lewis – I Spent the Night in the Wax Museum
8. Dirty Beaches – Lord Knows Best
Episode Eight – Stinky sweat room, Radiohead excitement and questionable goat evolution patterns.
1. Cab Calloway – Minnie the Moocher
2. Beck – Hell Yes
3. Beirut – My Night With The Prostitute From Marseille
4. Radiohead – Give Up The Ghost
5. Black Lips – O, Katrina!
6. The Beatles – Here Comes The Sun
7. Alessi’s Ark – Woman
8. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Red Eyes and Tears
9. Slow Club – It Doesn’t Have To Be Beautiful
Episode Nine – Ridiculous jingle mockery, the last ever Alien Corner and stress malaise.
1. The Temptations – My Girl
2. De La Soul – Eye Know
3. Ryan Adams – La Cienega Just Smiled
4. Willy Mason – Oxygen
5. Dum Dum Girls – Bhang Bhang, I’m A Burnout
6. Rihanna – What’s My Name?
7. The Las – There She Goes
Episodes Ten and Eleven are stuck in the ether. They will never return.
Episode Twelve – Attempted professionalism, subtle radio editing and decoy Muslims. Also, dodgy recording, apologies.
1. Vampire Weekend – Horchata
2. Good Shoes – City By The Sea
3. Camera Obscura – The Sweetest Thing
4. Chuck Berry – Johnny B Goode
5. The Savings and Loan – Catholic Boys in the Rain
6. Shy Child – Drop The Phone
7. Mazes – Go Betweens
8. Rilo Kiley – Does He Love You?
Episode One – Unfortunately slightly truncated because of technical difficulties, we have rampant unprofessionalism (as per usual), discussion of rahs, plugging for other people’s club nights, unintentional widening of the North-South divide, and the inaugural (and, at the time, unnamed) Cat Le Sac vs. Skrebulus Pip. Enjoy!
1. The Smiths – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
2. The xx – Islands
3. The Maccabees – Can You Give It
4. Mumford & Sons – Winter Winds
5. Jordin Sparks – Battlefield
6. Will Smith – Pump Ya Brakes feat. Snoop Dogg
7. Florence + The Machine – Girl With One Eye
8. Hall & Oates – You Make My Dreams
Episode Two – Apologies for the strange skipping that happens periodically throughout this one, not quite sure about that. However, we have the return of Alien Corner and Movie Reviews, the official induction of “Cat’s Yummiest Thing” and some emails from people WE DON’T EVEN KNOW PERSONALLY (although one of them seemed not to like us very much). Enjoy!
1. The Drums – I Felt Stupid
2. Emmy The Great – 24
3. Kill It Kid – Bust Its Banks
4. Mandy Moore – Bug
5. Mumford & Sons – Dust Bowl Dance
6. 50 Cent vs. Thomas The Tank Engine – Tom In Da Club
7. Cascada – Everytime We Touch
8. Eels – Packing Blankets
9. The Kills – Sour Cherry
Episode Three – Somewhat shambolic this week I’m afraid, Cat felt ill and I was just a bit crap. Nonetheless there’s talk of ducks, alien cloud formations, hidden aspects of Newcastle and a failed attempt by me to drum up interest in quoting Shakespeare. Boom!
1. The Dead Weather – Hang You From The Heavens
2. Johnny Flynn – Tunnels
3. Phoenix – 1901
4. Manic Street Preachers – Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
5. Lady Gaga – Eh Eh
6. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – Electricity
7. Lenka – Like A Song
8. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole – Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World
Episode Four – In an effort to impress Steve Lamacq on the off chance he was listening, we tried to be more professional this week. It didn’t really work, but what matters is we tried. There’s talk of spoons as weapons, much undeserved hatred for Snoop Dogg in Cat Le Sac vs. Skrebulus Pip and an exclusive (read: not exclusive) clip of Christopher Walken ‘singing’ Poker Face.
1. Nirvana – Pennyroyal Tea
2. Camera Obscura – My Maudlin Career
3. Local Natives – Camera Talk
4. Meursault – Red Candle Bulb
5. Mandy Moore – I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week
6. Snoop Dogg – Drop It Like it’s Hot feat. Pharrell
7. Manic Street Preachers – All Is Vanity
8. Conor Oberst – Souled Out!!!
Episode Five – Cat seems inordinately quiet for some of this, apologies for that, but it’s another wonderfully ramshackle show this week. We have a certain Joe Vann in the studio with us (well, until he got bored and went off for a pint anyway), MORE Alien Corner, some awesome crazy news, and not a German impression in sight.
1. Manic Street Preachers – Me and Stephen Hawking
2. The Very Best – Warm Heart of Africa (feat. Ezra Koenig)
3. Regina Spektor – Us
4. Stateless – Bloodstream
5. Shad – The Old PRince Still Lives At Home
6. Wham! – Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
7. Meursault – Dirt and the Roots
8. Belle & Sebastian – You Don’t Send Me
9. Echo & The Bunnymen – Nothing Lasts Forever
Episode Six – Sorry about the crackliness, it’s not our fault I promise! Aside from that, we’ve got all the regular features (minus Movie Reviews), the return German accents, people enjoying the idea of leg glands, many a shout out and some classic Sisqo. Until next week folks!
1. Ben Folds – Landed
2. Vampire Weekend – Cousins
3. Korn – Make Me Bad/In Between Days feat. Robert Smith
4. Good Shoes – Under Control
5. Emmy The Great – Where Is My Mind?
6. Paramore – Decode
7. Sisqo – Unleash The Dragon
8. Bruce Springsteen – Hungry Heart (Live)
9. Pull Tiger Tail – Let’s Lightning
Episode Seven – My god I’m lazy, this is almost a week late and I can only apologise. But never fear, we have a show filled to the brim with radio goodtimes. These include another week where Cat doesn’t actually mind my song she should hate, a complete lack of interest in us asking you what you want for Christmas and even some Movie Reviews. Enjoy!
1. Maximo Park – Going Missing
2. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – This Love Is Fucking Right
3. Lykke Li – Possibility
4. Future of the Left – Stand By Your Manatee
5. M.I.A. – Paper Planes
6. Michael Buble – Haven’t Met You Yet
7. Placebo – Nancyboy
8. Eric B. & Rakim – I Know You Got Soul
9. House of Pain – Jump Around
10. The Pogues – Love You ‘Til The End
Episode Eight – It’s all something of a mess this week. Cat couldn’t make it, we were half an hour early, the next person didn’t turn up so we did an hour extra and Joe Vann and Jamie Sanderson reinforced the North-South divide for quite a while. Ah well, it’s probably still funny…
1. Telekinesis – Foreign Room
2. Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)
3. Simon & Garfunkel – Wednesday Morning, 3AM
4. Rage Against The Machine – People of the Sun
5. Mumford & Sons – After The Storm
6. Tom Williams & The Boat – Too Slow
7. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Everything With You
8. Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson – Woodfriend
9. Pixies – River Euphrates
10. The Futureheads – Struck Dumb
11. Sniper Bros. – Secret Pirate Adventures
12. Radiohead – Faust Arp
13. The Maccabees – Empty Vessels feat. Roots Manuva
14. Shad – Compromise
15. The Lonely Island – Ras Trent
16. Neutral Milk Hotel – Holland, 1945
Episode Nine – It’s the final show of 2009 for Cat and Joe and something of a Christmas bonanza. We’ve got Crazy News, Alien Corner and a special Christmas Movie Reviews segment. Expect music, wine and merriment – Merry Christmas everyone!
1. Brenda Lee – Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
2. Andrew Bird – Oh No
3. The Darkness – Christmas Time
4. The Second Hand Marching Band – We Walk In The Room
5. Bob Dylan – Must Be Santa
6. The Research – Lonely Hearts Still Beat The Same
7. Andy Williams – It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
8. Brooke Fraser – Albertine
9. Zooey Deschanel and Leon Radbone – Baby, It’s Cold Outside
Episode Ten – Something about the streaming software went mental. No podcast. Oops.
Episode Eleven – Starts 12 seconds in for some reason, sorry about that! This week we have a bonanza of wonderment – Know Your Onion returns, we talk about Hannibal Lector and a thousand funtimes were had. Woop!
1. Feist – I Feel It All
2. Good Shoes – Then She Walks By
3. Fionn Regan – Be Good Or Be Gone
4. The Maccabees – Lego
5. Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
6. Vampire Weekend – White Sky
7. Bright Eyes – We Are Nowhere And It’s Now
8. The Subways – Move To Newlyn
Episode Twelve – Cat was away this week, so the talented and tall voice of Mr. Joe Vann joined me once more. Unfortunately, we were both quite tired so if the show appears lacklustre, well, it was. Nonetheless, all the usual features return, there’s a lot of microphone-related talk and we get a bit obsessed with thesuperest.com (which is definitely awesome).
1. Local Natives – Camera Talk
2. Orange Juice – Blue Boy
3. Lightspeed Champion – Everyone I Know Is Listening To Crunk
4. Mos Def – 24 Hour Karate School
5. Iron Maiden vs. The Monkees – The Trooper Believer
6. Late of the Pier – Space and the Woods
7. Gorillaz – Stylo
8. Telekinesis – Tokyo
9. Manic Street Preachers – I’m Just A Patsy
Episode Thirteen – This week was our first ever Movie Soundtrack Show, where every piece of music was from a film we liked (mostly). Alongside all the aural goodtimes we have the usual features and we beg people to email us (and no-one does. Again). We also have an impromptu Children of Bodom covers section. Oh, and ignore Chryl Cole at the start, it was nothing to do with us.
1. Kansas – Carry On Wayward Son From Anchorman
2. The First Edition – Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) From The Big Lebowski
3. Snow Patrol feat. Martha Wainwright – Set Fire To The Third Bar From Dear John
4. Echo & the Bunnymen – The Killing Moon From Donnie Darko
5. Will Smith – Wild Wild West Duh
6. Petula Clark – Downtown From Girl, Interrupted
7. Nirvana – Something In The Way From Jarhead
8. Camera Obscura – Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken From P.S. I Love You
9. Radiohead – Exit Music (For A Film) From Romeo + Juliet
Episode Fourteen – The opening salvo of horrifying music continues, this week with T-Spoon’s seminal work ‘Sex on the Beach’ – but fear not! We quickly remedy that with a bit of Gwen Stefani and get on our merry way with all the usual features, all accompanied by the sound of a faulty microphone gently crackling its way through the whole thing. Delightful.
1. Gwen Stefani – Hollaback Girl
2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
3. Laura Marling – Devil’s Spoke
4. Wild Beasts – We Still Got The Taste Dancing On Our Tongues
5. Marilyn Manson – Rock Is Dead
6. Anna Calvi – First We Kiss
7. Marina & The Diamonds – Shampain
8. Broken Bells – The High Road
Episode Fifteen – There’s no rubbish music at the start of this one, hoorah (but we still take time to mention it, because it is truly awful). With that ritual complete, we move onto all the usual gubbins but with the conspicuous absence of our Alien Corner – although Tom Cruise gets a mention instead. And aside from all that we treat you to a great big pile of delightful music. Lucky beggars!
1. Beach House – Norway
2. Mumford & Sons – Cousins
3. Fiona Apple – Paper Bag
4. Kimya Dawson – I Like Giants
5. The Darkness – I Believe In A Thing Called Love
6. The Joy Formidable – Austere
7. The Stranglers – Golden Brown
8. Angus and Julia Stone – And The Boys
Episode Sixteen – Refreshed after an Easter break yet somehow still quite poorly put together and badly-planned, Cat and I return for our penultimate show of the year. All the usual features make an appearance, so look out for mentions of evil clowns, Arnold Schwarzeneggar and more idiotic voices than you could shake a baton at.
1. Johnny Flynn – Kentucky Pill
2. The Bird and the Bee – I Can’t Go For That
3. Laura Marling – Blackberry Stone
4. Harlem – Friendly Ghost
5. Sean Paul – Gimme The Light
6. Hot Chip – I Feel Better
7. Mystery Jets – Flash A Hungry Smile
8. Ben Folds – Adelaide
Episode Seventeen – This was our last show of the year, and the day before our birthday (yes, Cat and I have the same birthday, what of it?), so this show is packed full of music we liked as well as brilliant attempts at doing good end-of-year editions of our features. Cat summarily destroys me in Know Your Onion, something I’m sure she won’t let me live down, and we talk some real balls. So essentially it’s like any other show. Bye!
1. The Beatles – Here Comes The Sun
2. Idlewild – When I Argue I See Shapes
3. Vampire Weekend – Giving Up The Gun
4. Eric Clapton – Layla (Unplugged)
5. Kate Nash – Do Wah Doo
6. Sparks – This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both of Us
7. Laura Marling – Alpha Shallows
8. Jay Jay Pistolet – Happy Birthday You